Thursday, November 11, 2004

Google Keywords



The trick to getting the page you want in a search engine is all about the type of words or phrases you use. You use the wrong words and u'll get the wrong results. Therefore, often what happens is that I do a simple search of what I want, which I know will return hundreds of thousands of results, and then I look through the first couple to see if they meet my match. When they don't I refine the search either by using more specific terms or I hone in on the required result by including more search terms.

The idea of a good piece of software is that it should assist the user in all ways that it can to make life easier and make the usage of the software more efficient. I add a word of caution here that efficient doesn't in fact mean good software, just efficient software. But anyhow, if the software is efficient and on top of that has good usability like google does, then it should make an attempt to push the user in the right direction to maximise its possibilities.

Now, my proposition is that from a HCI perspective, Google does do most things a user would want, but what it doesn't do is help to get the perfect phrases that a pinpointed search would achieve. Therefore, I think they should have a Keyword system which perhaps computes, using facts from previous similar searches and their pagerank system, the possibilities that the user can input to get a better search. A much better version than kelkoo currently has, I must add, because kelkoo's version is very poor and hardly returns better results than the current search u may have done.

The fact that Google in the background can perform lots of queries with different phrasing based on the search of the individual would help enormously as they could show some sort of benchmark against the current search. In this way there would be a greater level of interactivity between the user and his searches, thus resulting in a better solution.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home